My Juice Cleanse With Glow Juicery (and a Giveaway!)
A couple weeks ago I reached out to Marnie Ashcroft, the founder and CEO of Glow Juicery, the popular juice and raw food bars that were born in Edmonton and have since multiplied throughout our city and spread into other provinces. I met Marnie at a Lululemon event in the fall and she was personable, hilarious and lovely company. I instantly liked her. She told me then that if I ever wanted to do a juice cleanse to reach out - and so begins my juicing story.
I've never done a juice cleanse before. I'm a fairy healthy and conscious eater, but I have been feeling the need for a reset, a restart; a cleanse if you will. I deal with constipation, bloating and acne quite often and all of these symptoms had recently been getting worse. With the fluke Spring-like weather we experienced last week, I wanted to feel lighter. I ordered a 2-day juice cleanse and prepared my body by eating vegetarian for the days leading up to my cleanse.
The cleanse included 12 fresh juices; 6 for each day. I've always loved Glow's branding (what can I say? I'm easily influenced by good design) and I found each juice to be delicious in it's own right. I kept a juicing diary for your amusement. Please enjoy yourself.
Juice Cleanse: Day 1
I'm feeling hungry and already questioning why I am doing this. I drink 500ml of water with lemon and then crack open my first juice; Vitamin G. I decide now is probably a good time to look at the juicing tip sheet Glow had emailed me. I notice how detailed and supportive it is and start to feel hopeful that I can actually do this. On page two they have listed the juices in a suggested order of consumption. I start to panic because I'm drinking my afternoon juice, not my breakfast juice. It takes me about 5 minutes to tell myself this will be OK and I reschedule the rest of my day's juices.
Feeling great. Started my second juice. I'm so badass, my liver is doing a happy dance and I'm positive that in a few hours all of life's problems will be washed away with these delicious, nutritious juices.
I'm going to murder my children and then eat them. I'm cranky and my son just told me I was rude. I'm having a hard time making their lunch without wanting to steal a bite. I swear needlessly, drink water and try to wait another hour.
I decide I definitely, without a doubt, need to eat a salad for lunch. The juicing tip sheet had given a recipe for their Glow Salad which consists of greens, radish, celery, broccoli and cucumber. It mentions you can add avocado or a few nuts if you need added satiation. I add both (satiate me please!), squeeze some lemon juice on top with a little olive oil and it's the best thing I've tasted. It feels so good to chew and I love knowing that each ingredient is alkalizing. I am an alkalized goddess.
I'm surprisingly still full from my salad and I feel great. I've fallen behind on the juicing schedule and have only had 4 of the 6 daily juices. I drank a lot of water and herbal teas and I've gone pee so much that my son asked if I was OK. I'm feeling positive that I can finish strong.
Juice Cleanse: Day 2
Everyone around me is eating eggs covered in veggies and cheese and I'm dying a little. For someone who loves food and I mean, loves food, this is hard for me. I keep having to guide my thoughts away from all the food I'm craving; which mostly seems to be fatty, salty foods. I start a mantra - I Can Do This.
I keep trying to remind myself why I started this. I'm having a battle of the mind and I'm grasping for validation on this cleanse. l start googling and researching juice cleanses. I read about giving your liver a break, spiritual experiences, increased libido and a plethora of other benefits.
I'm currently sending a video of myself eating a bowl of homemade baba ganoush with crackers to my pal Marielle. I officially cheated and I realized that the only part of me that feels bad is my ego. Well, fuck the ego.
I finished off the day drinking juice and water and didn't actually eat anything else (weirdly enough, I wasn't hungry!). I would deem my first experience a success. I felt lighter and ultimately, it gives you a chance to see what your body is capable of. I now notice when I'm just eating for boredom or emotions and it was a good transition into my new gluten-free/dairy-free elimination diet (I'm still trying to discern why I suffer from constipation and acne). I don't think I'll be able to do another juice cleanse for a very long time though, because I freaking love eating.
My Juicing Advice
- Considering I wasn't eating food and I'm kind of a bitch when hungry; I had a good experience. I felt really supported by Glow Juicery and their juices were delicious and full of variety. They made everything easy, accessible and were full of knowledge. If you are going to do a cleanse, I recommend having this type of support.
- Write the reasons why you want to juice down on a piece of paper and tape it to your wall. When you start to feel like you can't do it anymore, you have something tangible to hold on to while your brain tries to trick you into cheating.
- Don't juice cleanse in the middle of winter. This is totally my personal opinion but I felt cold all the time and I can see how a Spring/Summer cleanse would be more appealing since I tend to eat lighter/colder foods then anyways.
- Don't look at food menus, Pinterest recipes or go places of temptation. I was at the Old Strathcona Farmers Market on a morning of my cleanse and it was plain torture.
- Be kind to yourself. If you've educated yourself on why your doing a juice cleanse and have decided to go through with it; take it an hour at a time. The whole heart behind a juice cleanse is to slow down, heal your body and provide room for growth. If you are angry and shaming yourself, this will restrict the process and lead to negative self-talk. You are worthy. If you mindfully decide to veer off the cleanse and eat a snack, so what? It's your body. Be proud of yourself.
If you've always wanted to give a juice cleanse a try - now if your chance! Glow Juicery has generously decided to give one of you readers a free, 1-day juice cleanse! Head on over to Instagram to enter! Contest closes Friday, March 3rd at 10am. Must be able to pick up your juice at either the Sherwood Park or Strathcona Glow Juicery location.